top of page



Q. What does distance learning mean?

A. Distance learning means that the student studies at home, at his own pace, but within the guidelines set by the school. Every week, the student is required to send a progress test to the school, so that we can monitor your self-study progress. At the end of a module (which contains multiple subjects), a brush-up session is organised.

Q. A brush-up session?!

A. Yes, a classroom-held training session where you can meet our instructors and co-students. During one day you will review the subject with an instructor, a Q-and-A session is held, and you’ll make sample exam questions to prepare you for the exam.

Q. What do you use as study material?

A. We use the ATPL(H) book set published by Jeppesen. They are rather good and contain almost everything you need for your studies. We are writing our own course manuals, and step by step we will replace the Jeppesen book set. We also provide videos and computer-based training with lots of animations.

Q. What is Area 100 KSA?

A. Area 100 KSA (Knowledge, Skills, and Attitude) is EASA’s latest update to professional pilot theory training. It aims to be a bridge between pure theoretical knowledge training and flight training, focussing more on the non-technical skills (NOTECHS) of a student pilot. This means that during our courses, you will have to prepare Area 100 KSA assessments, held during the brush-up days. These assessments include amongst others giving a short lecture in front of a group, a flight planning exercises in small groups,... Area 100 KSA also includes a mental mathematics test.

Q. ATPL with or without IR, or CPL... What should I choose?

A. The ATPL(H)/IR is the highest level and the most complete theoretical knowledge course for an EASA Part-FCL pilot license. A pass on the ATPL(H)/IR exams is required by most of the offshore helicopter companies, an even smaller operators, mainly operating onshore, are requiring the ATPL(H)/IR more often. A good alternative, for those who don’t want to go into the offshore business (immediately) is the ATPL(H)/VFR. For most subjects, ATPL(H)/IR and VFR are similar, and you aim for the highest theoretical knowledge level as well. When the IR is needed in the future, you get some credits and you can easily do a conversion to obtain the IR as well. The CPL(H) theoretical knowledge training is for those pilots who want to obtain a CPL(H) license, but without the future goal of flying large multi-engined helicopters, offshore, in a multi-crew and IR environment. Important to know if you decide to start the CPL(H) course and later on you want to do the ATPL(H)/IR course, is that you barely have credits and you have to retake almost every exam...! Compare this with the ATPL(H)/VFR, where you only have to do a few exams to obtain the ATPL(H)/IR.

Q. OK, let’s go for it. How do I enrol?

A. You can send us an email, or just call, and we are happy to provide you some more details. After the official GO! you can already start with the maths and physics test, while we prepare the study materials and the invoice. If possible, we try to meet in person, to hand-over the book set, otherwise we ship the set via regular mail service. When you have the study material and the progress tests of the first module, you can start. We don’t push or rush, and neither should you. Take your time and we are there whenever you want to start.


Q. How much exams do I have to take?

A. For the ATPL(H)/IR you have to take 14 exams. For the ATPL(H)/VFR and the CPL(H) you have to take 13  exams, because you don’t have an exam on IFR Communications. In the near future, 2020-2021, VFR and IFR Communications will be merged into 1 subject, so as from that moment, every course is concluded by 13 exams.

Q. Can I take the exams at Helicopter Groundschool?

A. No. You have to take the exams at an official EASA member state exam centre (see below). We are only allowed to assess the Area 100 KSA assessments and to deliver a certificate of completion for the pre-entry course for the first multi-engine type rating.

Q. Where can I take the written exams?

A. You can take the written exams at any EASA member state of your choice, but you have to take all the exams at the same member state. We currently have experience with the Belgian, Dutch, and Austrian CAAs and their examination centres. Two factors to consider are the location of the exam centre and the costs per exam. The latter can vary greatly between the member states.



Q. I heard of the EASA ECQB? Tell me more...

A. EASA developed and maintains a question database containing about 10.000 questions. This database is made available to the EASA member states and the national CAAs can use the questions for their exams. Lately, a lot of effort was put to update and revise the existing questions, and to add a lot of new questions. For more information, please visit the ECQB page on the EASA website.


Q. If I subscribe to a commercial question database, I’ll study the exam questions by heart and I will pass with 100%. Why should I study your study material?

A. First of all, the ECQB is updated with about 1500 questions per year, so chances that you encounter new questions are rather big. So, if you just work yourself through a certain database, you will probably not succeed on the real exams. On the other hand, we think that commercial question banks are a valuable tool to train and assess yourself during your studies. We actually do support the use of a commercial question database. Quite a paradox, isn’t it? You will get the best results when you combine our study method with a commercial question database.

Before we go to the next question, we just want to add this... One day you will apply for a pilot job, the job of your dreams... Offshore, onshore, HEMS, HHO, flight instruction, etc. A job application often includes some kind of oral board, where you have to pass (again) some theoretical knowledge subjects. It would be rather embarrassing if you are not able to explain simple things, because you have never studied in depth and only question-banked yourself through the exams, no?



Q. Do you offer a split payment?

A. Yes and no. YES for the theory training modules. On request, we can split the invoice into a maximum of three parts, depending on the amount of modules. NO for the set of study materials (books). We order this set in full and we sell it in full as well. No split possible here.

Q. I have a valid EU registered company with VAT number...

A. In accordance with EU law we do not charge you any VAT (Reverse Charge). Otherwise, the VAT is mentioned separately on the invoice. For info: in Belgium, the applicable VAT is 21% for the course and 6% for the study materials (books).


You did your PPL and you might be interested in becoming a professional helicopter pilot.

The next theory course, whether it is CPL or ATPL theory, will probably be your last 'major' theory course for the rest of your future

helicopter career. Take your time to decide wisely, but once you go for it, take full advantage of the training course

and fill-up your backpack with as much knowledge as possible.

Not only to pass those $%!!?€ exams, but also to become an educated, serious helicopter pilot.

We can help you with that !

If you have any more questions please do not hesitate to contact us.

bottom of page